Federal ironclad USS Galena showing some battle damage, 1862


It is astonishing that this extensive iron casing was designed and manufactured without the aid of computers. Somebody designed it by placing a pen on paper. Then the parts were made by hand in some way or the other.

The USS Galena was a wooden hulled wide iron fuselage built for the United States Navy during the American Civil War. The ship was initially assigned to the North Atlantic Blocking Squadron and supported Union forces during the Peninsula Campaign in 1862. She was damaged during the Battle of Drury's Bluff because her armor was too thin to prevent Confederate shots from penetrating.

The Galena 3 trial was one of the ironclads approved by the Ironclad Board during the early part of the Civil War. The other two were the New Ironside, and of course the Monitor. The Galena's method of armouring the hull was a flop so it was not used on other ships.

The monitor style won out and many more were made, some with 2 turrets. The two guns in the photo are 9-inch Dahlgren. Each nine-inch gun weighed approximately 9,000 pounds (4,100 kg). They could fire 70–90-pound (31.8–40.8 kg) shells to a range of 3,450 yards (3,150 m).

The crew would heat low-quality cannonballs in a furnace. The problem with these hot cannon shells was that firing it was almost as dangerous to the ship as the target.

Cannons smaller than normal were heated until they were red-hot, then loaded into the cannon, and shot at wooden ships (or land targets). They were smaller than usual because the metal expands when heated.

On the morning of May 15, Galena led her squadron to Drury Bluff, about 8 miles (13 km) from Richmond, where the Confederates had blocked the river and built a bridge over a 90-foot (27 m) bluff to cover. The battery was kept. Obstacles.

Galena moved about 600 yards (550 m) from the bluff and opened fire at 07:45, while the wooden ship remained further down. Monitor attempted to fire at the battery as well, but his guns could not get up high enough to reach him.

Galina served in the Confederate position for more than three hours, until her ammunition was almost exhausted. Her fire was largely ineffective, although her shells managed to kill seven and injure eight members of the battery.

In turn, the ship was hit an estimated 44 times on her port side, with 13 of those hits penetrating her armor and punching three large holes through her spar deck. He was killed by 13 crewmen and wounded 11 others.

In a letter to his wife, Rodgers said that "his sides look like he has had a smallpox attack". Two sailors and a Marine aboard the Galena were awarded the Medal of Honor for their actions during the war: Fireman Charles Kenyon, Quartermaster Jeremiah Regan, and Corporal John F. Mackie. Mackie Medal recipients Was the first member of the Marine Corps.

Galena was decommissioned on 17 June 1865, until recommended for transfer back to Hampton Roads on 9 April 1869, where she was decommissioned again on 2 June. Condemned by the Survey in 1870, Galena was dismantled at the Norfolk Navy Yard in 1872.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.