When Hitler’s nephew moved to America and joined the US Navy to fight his uncle, 1911-1947


William Patrick Stuart-Houston (née Hitler), son of Alois Hitler Jr., was Adolf Hitler's half-nephew. He was born in the Toxteth area of ​​Liverpool, England in 1911 in a house that was later destroyed in a German air raid.

Alois Hitler Jr. and Irish lady Bridget Dowling met in Dublin in 1909 and married in the Marylebone district of London in 1910 and moved back to Liverpool.

Alois Hitler left his wife and son in England and moved back to Germany where he started a new family. According to the Lyon Air Museum, Willie was reunited with his father when he was 18; He traveled to Germany where his dear old "dad took him to a Nazi rally where he saw his uncle Adolf." In 1930 William visited Germany again, this time meeting his uncle in person and receiving an autographed photograph from him.

These happy moments with Hitler did not last. After returning from a 1931 trip to Germany, William published a few articles about his uncle, whose flamboyance and rapid rise to prominence made him a person of interest to the European and American public.

But, according to William, the Nazi leader did not like the way he was portrayed in the articles. By summoning William to Berlin, Hitler reportedly ordered him to withdraw the article.

William's 1931 writings about his uncle brought additional unexpected results. Now that his relationship with Adolf Hitler had become public, William had become persona non grata in England. He was fired in 1932. Unable to find other employment in his homeland, he decided to look for work in Germany; Perhaps his increasingly influential uncle could have been persuaded to help.

In 1933, William became Nazi Germany in an attempt to profit from the growing power of his step-uncle. Adolf, now chancellor, got him a job at the Reichskreitbank in Berlin, a job he held for most of the 1930s.

He later worked at the Opel Automobile Factory and as a car salesman. Dissatisfied with these jobs, he again asked his step-uncle for a better job, writing him letters with blackmail and threatening to sell embarrassing stories about the family to newspapers.

In 1938, Adolf asked William to renounce his British citizenship in exchange for a higher-ranking job. Suspecting a trap, William fled Nazi Germany and again attempted to blackmail his uncle by threatening him.

This time, William threatened to reveal to the press that Adolf's alleged grandfather was actually a Jewish merchant. He returned to London, where he wrote the article "Why I Hate My Uncle" for Look magazine. He reportedly returned to Germany for a brief period in 1938. It is unknown what role Germany played in the late 1930s.

Returning to England, William attempted to join the British Armed Forces, but was rejected because of his direct connection to Adolf Hitler.

So, in February 1939, he left for the United States with his mother, eager to share what he had learned about his uncle Adolf and the Nazi regime. He did so during a lecture tour sponsored by newspaperman William Randolph Hearst.

After a special request from President Franklin D. Roosevelt, William was finally approved to join the United States Navy in 1944; He relocated to the Sunnyside neighborhood of Queens, New York.

William was drafted as a pharmacist's fellow in the United States Navy during World War II (a position that was later changed to hospital corpsman) until he was discharged in 1947.

On coming on duty, the induction officer asked for his name. He replied, "Hitler." Thinking he was joking, the officer replied, "Hitler, glad to see you. My name is Hess." William was wounded in action during the war and was awarded the Purple Heart.

Finally tired of the attention his controversial surname attracted, William changed it to Stuart-Houston after returning to the civilian world. He married German-born Phyllis Jean-Jacques, and the couple settled in Patchogue on Long Island, New York.

William ran Brookhaven Laboratories, a blood analysis laboratory in his family home. William Stuart-Houston died on 14 July 1987 and is buried next to his late mother in Corum, New York.

Stuart-Houston and his wife had four sons: Alexander Adolph (born 1949), Louis (born 1951), Howard Ronald (1957–1989), and Brian William (born 1965). None of his sons had any children of his own.

According to David Gardner, author of the 2001 book The Last of the Hitlers, "they didn't sign a deal, but what they did was they talked among themselves, about their burdens in the background of their lives, and decided that neither of them would marry, neither of them would have children. And that is an agreement they have kept to this day."

Although none of Stuart-Houston had children, his son Alexander, who was a social worker until 2002, said that contrary to speculation, there was no intentional agreement to end Hitler's bloodline.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.