The priest and the dying soldier, 1962

Naval Pastor Luis Padilla performs the last rites of a soldier who was injured in sniper firing during an insurgency in Venezuela. Bravely on the streets amid sniper fire to perform the last rites of the dead, the priest encountered a wounded soldier, who clinging to the priest's cassock pulled himself up as bullets chewed up the concrete around him. She was

Photographer Hector Rondon Lovera, who had to lie flat to avoid being shot, later said that he was unsure how he had taken the picture: "I found myself in a solid lead for forty-five minutes... It was flat against the wall, while bullets were being fired when the priest came in. The truth is, I don't know how I took these pictures lying on the ground.

Rondon shoots a government soldier crawling over the robe of Navy chaplain Luis Padilla as Padilla looks in the direction of rebel sniper fire.

Government forces quickly took control of the city and over two days advanced to submit to the remaining rebels, who had taken cover at Solano Castle. A handful of people who were not caught or killed were able to escape into the forest."

In addition to the priest's bravery, he also knows that the enemy will think a lot before shooting him (just imagine the propaganda) and that the enemy soldiers are Catholic and will refuse that order.

There is an even more intense setting about this picture, with a carnicaria (a butcher shop) in the background. In Spanish, a carnivore means both "butcher's shop" and "slaughter, carnage".

The phrase "fue una carnicaria" (English equivalent: "It was the massacre") is very common in the Spanish language. The parallel really catches one's eye and draws out the horror of the scene even more.

This photo was taken on June 4 (1962) by Caracas photographer Hector Rondon Lovera for the Venezuelan newspaper "La Repubblica". It won the World Press Photo of the Year and the 1963 Pulitzer Prize for Photography. The original title of the work is "Help from Padre".

El Portenazo (2 June 1962 – 6 June 1962) was a short-lived military coup in Venezuela against the government of Romulo Betancourt, in which rebels attempted to capture the city of Puerto Cabello and its Solano Castle. Venezuela's constitution in 1962 was only a year old, but there have already been two attempts to overthrow the government.

The offensive at the naval base was a bloody conflict between government forces and guerrilla rebels, supported by the residents of Puerto Cabello.

The rebellion was crushed by 3 June, leaving over 400 dead and 700 wounded, and by 6 June the rebel stronghold of Solano Castle had fallen.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.